View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. Policy
18 November 2021

How India could reach net zero by 2050

By boosting support for renewables and energy storage, India could achieve a net-zero power system by 2050, says Wärtsilä Energy. Global attempts to keep warming under 1.5°C depend on it.

By Energy Monitor Staff

The world “desperately needs” India to commit to limiting global warming to 1.5°C by the middle of the century, says a report from Finnish technology company Wärtsilä Energy, which lays out a pathway for the country to achieve a net-zero power system by 2050.

Wind power in Rajasthan, India. (Photo by pzAxe via Shutterstock)

India would need around 4,000GW of total installed capacity to meet 5,921 terawatt hours (TWh) of electricity demand and 1,023GW of peak demand over the next three decades up to 2050, the report says. Of this, total solar capacity is projected to be around 3,076GW, or 76% of the total installed capacity. Other sources of generation such as wind, hydro and gas will make up the remaining 24% of the mix, the report suggests.

Wärtsilä Energy argues it is in India’s interests to reach a zero-emissions power system by 2050. A carbon-neutral power mix could cut the per megawatt-hour (MWh) cost of meeting electricity demand by 48%, from $81/MWh in 2020 to $42/MWh in 2050.

The report recommends that India introduces market mechanisms, such as the contracts for difference scheme in the UK, to attract investments in renewables and system flexibility, such as battery storage.

Topics in this article: ,
NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. Keep up with the global energy transition with one of our editors bringing you the best of our data-led news and analysis every Monday and Thursday.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy


Thank you for subscribing to Energy Monitor